September is here, and while it may mean the end of summer, it’s also a time to get into action, it’s Prostate Cancer Awareness Month. A time for organizations, the media, and individuals like you to work together and speak out about prostate cancer and the benefits of early detection. Whether you have a busy month ahead or you’ve got a little extra time on your hands here are a few ways that you can take action this month:
- Take Advantage of Social Media. Facebook or Twitter can be quick and easy tools to help spread the word! If you’ve got an account you can dedicate your status updates to prostate cancer awareness or you can make your profile picture a blue ribbon (see 2nd bullet to download). A sample post could read “September is Prostate Cancer Awareness Month. Ladies, it’s a great time to encourage your man to get to the doctor for a check up!” or “September is Prostate Cancer Awareness Month. Find out what you need to know about prostate cancer at www.WomenAgainstProstateCancer.org“. Don’t feel like coming up with your own posts? Simply re-tweet or re-post from WAPC throughout the month.
- Pin a blue ribbon to your lapel. Have a blue ribbon pin lying around? Wear it throughout the month and use it as a conversation starter. Don’t have one? You can get one from WAPC for a $2.50 donation.
- Encourage the men in your life to get screened! It’s a great time to take advantage of free screenings going on around the country. Prostate Conditions Education Council offers an excellent screening site finder, just search your zip code and voila!
- Auction your items to benefit WAPC! Did you know that when you sell items on eBay.com you can automatically donate anywhere between 10 – 100% of the sale price to our organization? Ladies, have any old handbags or collectibles that you’ve been wanting to get rid of? Now you can do so while donating to a good cause. You can learn more about eBay Giving Works here.
- Host your own fundraiser. Check out our list of fundraiser ideas to get you started.