The 4th of July festivities have already started, and so has the gut busting greasy food temptations that come along with it. What’s the 4th of July without a big juicy burger you ask? Well who says you have to sacrifice good flavor for your health? It sounds impossible but believe it or not there are several healthy ways to enjoy your 4th of July meal minus all the extra fat and cholesterol. Below are some tips and healthy alternatives to your everyday classic burger .
- Use extra lean burger meat.
- Instead of the typical beef patty, try a lean turkey or salmon burger. (It’s lower in fat and packed with protein, who can beat that?)
- Instead of frying your burger, grill it!
- Add leafy green veggies on your burger like spinach.
- Add fresh tomatoes! Tomatoes are one of the best sources of lycopene, a powerful antioxidant which has been shown in several studies to have a protective effect against prostate cancer.
- Try a whole grain bun instead of regular one OR no bread at all!
- Skip the cheese!